The Joint Account Misconception

September 4th,2021 - 9:17am / by Jon-Paul Edwards

What happens to your joint bank or savings account if you lose mental capacity?

You might already know that a spouse is unable to access your sole name accounts if you lose mental capacity, unless there is a Lasting Power of Attorney in place, or the spouse has applied for a deputyship through the Court of Protection.

However, there is a general misconception that when one party of a joint account loses capacity to make decisions the party who still has capacity can still access the funds in the joint account. Probably, much to your surprise, this is not the case, even when you both have the authority to access the account alone! The British Bankers' Association guidance states that:

" if one joint account holders loses mental capacity, banks and building societies can decide whether or not to temporarily restrict the use of the account to essential transactions only (for example, living expenses and medical or residential-care bills) until a deputy has been appointed or a power of attorney registered.

In fact though, a Power of Attorney can only registered if one was made before a person has lost capacity, and the registration process if there is one, takes around ten weeks (longer if there are queries). During this time, important purchases might need to be made which are not permitted.

If there is no Lasting Power of Attorney in place, then an application must be made to the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy, who will be given permission, possibly limited permission to make financial decisions on behalf of the person who has lost capacity. The cost to apply for and act as deputy over a period of time, can outweigh the costs of setting up a Lasting Power of Attorney, by multiples of ten, twenty or even more. It may also take a long time for the deputyship application to be heard and approved.

If you still have capacity we can provide you with advice and professional services to set up Lasting Powers of Attorney. If someone has already lost capacity, or sister firm has an established Court of Protection team which can help you submit an application for deputyship.

If you saw the process for deputyship, and the costs involved, you would understand the importance of having a Lasting Power of Attorney in place while you are fit and well, even if you felt that losing capacity was a long way off. We do not know what is around the corner!

Contact Info

We are always ready to help you. You may drop us an email, give us a call or use our contact form, choose what suits you the most.

01507 707123. If you call during office hours and I am with a client, you are able to leave a message with the Fairfield Enterprise Centre reception team.

Goodwills Trusted Outcomes Ltd, Fairfield Enterprise Centre, Lincoln Way, Louth, LN11 0LS. Covering Louth, East Lindsey and surrounding areas.

Book An Appointment
Chat / Message
Via The Website

You can also get in contact with me using the orange "Message Us" button in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. This will give you the option to chat with Jon-Paul Edwards, Senior Client Consultant for Louth and surrounding areas if he is online. If not, you can leave a message, and he will get back to you as soon as he can.

Home visits

East Lindsey (Louth, Horncastle, Mablethorpe, Sutton-on-Sea, Skegness, Alford, Woodthorpe, Wragby, Spilsby and more), Cleethorpes, and Grimsby. If you are close to these areas, get in contact, we may still be able to provide a home visit service. Otherwise we can offer a remote service across England and Wales.

Office Consultations

Should you prefer to meet away from your home, we can arrange a consultation with you at the Fairfield Enterprise Centre in Louth, which offers free parking and easy access. Consultations will be held in a ground floor meeting room between the hours of 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.